Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Catalog Tape Rotation

2004-04-12 12:06:04
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Catalog Tape Rotation
From: jlangston AT northeastmedical DOT org (Jim Langston)
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 12:06:04 -0400
I'm curious and in need of some input.  We implemented our Veritas backup
solution back in October and we've had no problems at all.  My concern is my DR
plans.  We do weekly full backups every Friday night and cumulative backups
every other night.  We do montly's on the last day of each month.  I am using
vault's in-line copy and I send that second copy offsite; diffs go offsite for
a week, weekly's go off site for a month, and monthly's go offsite for a year.
I have 2 catalog tapes in my vault, but they never go offsite.  In the event I
have a true disaster, I have my tapes that I can bring back on site, but
without my catalog tape, I'll have problems right?  So what is the best
practice for catalog tapes being rotated out of the library?

Thanks

Jim Langston
Unix Systems Administrator
Northeast Medical Center