Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Catalog Tape Rotation

2004-04-12 16:18:33
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Catalog Tape Rotation
From: wts AT maine DOT edu (Wayne T Smith)
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 16:18:33 -0400
Jim Langston wrote, in part:

 > I'm curious and in need of some input. We implemented our Veritas
 > backup solution back in October and we've had no problems at all.  My
 > concern is my DR plans.  We do weekly full backups every Friday night
 > and cumulative backups every other night.  We do montly's on the last
 > day of each month.  I am using vault's in-line copy and I send that
 > second copy offsite; diffs go offsite for a week, weekly's go off site
 > for a month, and monthly's go offsite for a year. I have 2 catalog
 > tapes in my vault, but they never go offsite.  In the event I have a
 > true disaster, I have my tapes that I can bring back on site, but
 > without my catalog tape, I'll have problems right? So what is the best
 > practice for catalog tapes being rotated out of the library?

Most people want/expect to have a catalog that includes entries for all
of the data stored at their vault (offsite location).

If you don't have that catalog, then you get to "import" tapes to create
the new post-disaster online catalog.  This is a *much* slower process
than simply recreating the catalog from a DB backup.  Try each!  Better
now than when the world is screaming at you. ;-)

That said, I don't have a clue as to the answer to your question, since
I don't use inline tape copy.  Perhaps it's the same as without ITC ...
you run your Vault Profile and it makes sure all your copies are made
(most or all were pre-made with ITC) ... and then it creates an
appropriate catalog copy (from your pool of vault catalog tapes) for
your offsite vault.

Hope this helps,
cheers, wayne