Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] RE: Retention Periods and Industry practices.

2003-02-13 08:26:11
Subject: [Veritas-bu] RE: Retention Periods and Industry practices.
From: dfdwyer AT tecoenergy DOT com (Dennis Dwyer)
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 08:26:11 -0500

--=_66391EE7.B8D98D00

I guess a point here just to find out how it's working for everyone. I se=
e the reference to 7-year retention periods, which is not uncommon for a =
lot of folks who are regulated by some government entity (I work for a pu=
blic utility) but the question I've always had is "How do you know you ca=
n restore it 7 years from now" Although vendors say they're backward comp=
atible with hardware technology, media and software versions ... how do w=
e know it really works? Has anyone ever restored anything from a 7-year o=
ld tape? How about 4 years or less?

Our backup cycles are similar to others presented here. We do weekly FULL=
 backups every weekend starting on Friday and DIFFERENTIALS on Monday thr=
ough Thursday. The FULLS are kept for 5-weeks and the DIFFERENTIALS are k=
ept for 2-weeks. We have some special cases where retention is expanded t=
o 1-year (and sometimes INFINITY), but on average our data rolls over eve=
ry 5-weeks. I can't tell you why those retention periods were chosen beca=
use they were in place when I started but every inquiry to change them (e=
ither increase or decrease) has never resulted in changes. We are getting=
 ready to embark on a Vaulting project that would copy the images to a ro=
bot at a third off-site location (hopefully removing the people handling =
part of the equation) but I do not exp
ect to change the retention periods. We do not, as of yet, use NBU as a f=
ull blown data archiving system.

Regards,
Dennis

Dennis F. Dwyer
Manager, Systems Software
Tampa Electric Company

(813) 225-5181  - Voice
(813) 275-3599  - FAX

Visit our corporate website at www.tecoenergy.com

The Colonel Says: "Time is not a test of the truth"
Translation: Just because you've always done it that way, doesn't make it=
 right

>>> Andrew Wilkin <Andrew.Wilkin AT ditm.nsw.gov DOT au> 02/12/2003 6:19:53 PM

I'd agree with Brian Chase and get some version control software in place=
=2E It would be more efficient than doing recoveries, especially if the t=
ape you require is off site.
I work in a State Government Department (Australia) and I have to be able=
 to get information out of my Backups from 7 years ago, this is due to an=
 Act of Parliament (Government) that requires all data be retrievable for=
 this period of time. Part of the resume is to keep monthly backups as an=
 Archival, meaning that they are kept for ever!!
This theme is also filtering into e-mail that goes via the mail server, i=
t must be collected for archival purposes also. (I reckon that the tape m=
anufactures have had word to the politician to drum up a bit of business!=
! LOL).

Regards=20
Andrew Wilkin
Computer Systems Analyst=20
Department of Information Technology & Management
Land & Property Information - New South Wales=20
Panorama Ave
BATHURST, NSW, 2795, AUSTRALIA=20
Ph: (02) 6332 8397
Fx: (02) 6332 8457
E-mail: Andrew.Wilkin AT ditm.nsw.gov DOT au
WEB: www.lpi.nsw.gov.au <http://www.lpi.nsw.gov.au>=20

This message is intended for the addressee named and=20
may contain confidential information. If you are not the=20
intended recipient, please delete it and notify the sender.=20
Views expressed in this message are those of the=20
individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of the
Department of Information Technology & Management.

This email message has been swept by MIMEsweeper=20
for the presence of computer viruses.

--=_66391EE7.B8D98D00

<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-=
1">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.50.4916.2300" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY style=3D"MARGIN-TOP: 2px; FONT: 10pt Arial; MARGIN-LEFT: 2px">
<DIV>I guess a point here just to find out how it's working for everyone.=
 I see=20
the reference to 7-year retention periods, which is not uncommon for a lo=
t of=20
folks who are regulated by some government entity (I work for a public ut=
ility)=20
but the question I've always had is "How do you know you can restore it 7=
 years=20
from now" Although vendors say they're backward compatible with hardware=20
technology, media and software versions ... how do we know it really work=
s? Has=20
anyone ever restored anything from a 7-year old tape? How about 4 years o=
r=20
less?</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Our backup cycles are similar to others presented here. We do weekly=
 FULL=20
backups every weekend starting on Friday and DIFFERENTIALS on Monday thro=
ugh=20
Thursday. The FULLS are kept for 5-weeks and the DIFFERENTIALS are kept f=
or=20
2-weeks. We have some special cases where retention is expanded to 1-year=
 (and=20
sometimes INFINITY), but on average our data rolls over every 5-weeks. I =
can't=20
tell you why those retention periods were chosen because they were in pla=
ce when=20
I started but every inquiry to change them (either increase or decrease) =
has=20
never resulted in changes. We are getting ready to embark on a Vaulting p=
roject=20
that would copy the images to a robot at a third off-site location (hopef=
ully=20
removing the people handling part of the equation) but I do not expect to=
 change=20
the retention periods. We do not, as of yet, use NBU as a full blown=20
data&nbsp;archiving system.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Regards,</DIV>
<DIV>Dennis</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Dennis F. Dwyer<BR>Manager, Systems Software<BR>Tampa Electric=20
Company</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>(813) 225-5181&nbsp; - Voice<BR>(813) 275-3599&nbsp; - FAX</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Visit our corporate website at <A=20
href=3D"http://www.tecoenergy.com";>www.tecoenergy.com</A></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>The Colonel Says: "Time is not a test of the truth"<BR>Translation: =
Just=20
because you've always done it that way, doesn't make it=20
right<BR><BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; Andrew Wilkin &lt;Andrew.Wilkin AT ditm.nsw.gov DOT
au=
&gt;=20
02/12/2003 6:19:53 PM &gt;&gt;&gt;<BR></DIV>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I'd agree with</FONT><FONT face=3DArial si=
ze=3D2> Brian=20
Chase and get some version control software in place. It would be more ef=
ficient=20
than doing recoveries, especially if the tape you require is off=20
site.</FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I work in a State Government Department (A=
ustralia)=20
and I have to be able to get information out of my Backups from 7 years a=
go,=20
this is due to an Act of Parliament (Government) that requires all data b=
e=20
retrievable for this period of time. Part of the resume is to keep monthl=
y=20
backups as an Archival, meaning that they are kept for ever!!</FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>This theme is also filtering into e-mail t=
hat goes=20
via the mail server, it must be collected for archival purposes also. (I =
reckon=20
that the tape manufactures have had word to the politician to drum up a b=
it of=20
business!! LOL).</FONT></P><BR>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Regards</FONT><FONT face=3DArial> </FONT><=
/P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#000080 size=3D2>Andrew Wilkin</FONT><FONT=20
face=3DArial><BR></FONT><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Computer Systems=20
Analyst</FONT><FONT face=3DArial> </FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Department of Information Technology &amp;=
=20
Management</FONT><FONT face=3DArial><BR></FONT><FONT face=3DArial size=3D=
2>Land &amp;=20
Property Information - New South Wales</FONT><FONT face=3DArial> </FONT><=
/P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Panorama Ave</FONT><FONT face=3DArial><BR>=
</FONT><FONT=20
face=3DArial size=3D2>BATHURST, NSW, 2795, AUSTRALIA</FONT><FONT face=3DA=
rial>=20
</FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Ph: (02) 6332 8397</FONT><FONT=20
face=3DArial><BR></FONT><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Fx: (02) 6332 8457</F=
ONT><FONT=20
face=3DArial><BR></FONT><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>E-mail:=20
Andrew.Wilkin AT ditm.nsw.gov DOT au</FONT><FONT face=3DArial><BR></FONT><FONT
f=
ace=3DArial=20
size=3D2>WEB:<U></U></FONT><U> <FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff=20
size=3D2>www.lpi.nsw.gov.au &lt;<A target=3D_blank=20
href=3D"http://www.lpi.nsw.gov.au";>http://www.lpi.nsw.gov.au</A>&gt;</FON=
T></U><FONT=20
face=3DArial> </FONT></P><BR><CODE><FONT=20
size=3D3><BR><BR>********************************************************=
*******<BR>This=20
message is intended for the addressee named and <BR>may contain confident=
ial=20
information. If you are not the <BR>intended recipient, please delete it =
and=20
notify the sender. <BR>Views expressed in this message are those of the=20
<BR>individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of the<BR>Depart=
ment of=20
Information Technology &amp; Management.<BR><BR>This email message has be=
en=20
swept by MIMEsweeper <BR>for the presence of computer=20
**<BR></FONT></CODE></BODY></HTML>

--=_66391EE7.B8D98D00--