Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Re : bpbackupdb specific tape

2001-03-15 10:51:42
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Re : bpbackupdb specific tape
From: David A. Chapa david AT datastaff DOT com
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 07:51:42 -0800 (PST)
if you

tpreq -ev GOODBACKUPTAPE -d dlt -p NetBackup -f /tmp/tp

then perform

bpbackupdb -tpath /tmp/tp /usr/openv/netbackup/db \
/usr/openv/volmgr/database

it will OVERWRITE your good backup tape.  It will not
check the headers, it will not warn you it will not
remove it from the NBU database.  What it will do, is
hose you should you ever try to do a restore.

TRUST ME I KNOW...I had a client who wrote their own
dup scripts, only  to find out that when there was a
reason to recall the tapes, their script used one of
the same NBU tapes for the Database backup.  The data
wasn't there, but the database backup was...

not good for the heart, blood pressure, or vision.

David

Quoting "Price, Michael" <MPrice AT dantis DOT com>:

>       Isn't the only objection to putting a db backup
on a normal backup
> tape that the backup won't contain the info about
that very backup job?