Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Using CAP/Mailslot and Netbackup 3.4

2001-02-08 18:11:46
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Using CAP/Mailslot and Netbackup 3.4
From: Brad Fisher P70142 p70142 AT email.mot DOT com
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 16:11:46 -0700
Thanks Diane for your answers. It would appear that you are
in fact ejecting one tape at a time, however via some sort of
script doing that process multiple times. Upon reading my
original reply to the first post on this subject, I see that
I didn't specifically say that that I was addressing the lack
of multiple tape ejects via the gui.

Scripting works, using the vmchange command, but of course then you
must also get a bit more fancier to automate the process each week
to identify and pull the proper full backups for off site storage.
It's just unfortunate that the product does not have this
capability in the gui ... what's the point of having a point and
shoot environment if you can't select several tapes from your
media list and send them to the load port?

I had just learned today that the tape operators have been opening
the main doors to change tapes, then running an inventory afterwards!
I suspect other users are doing the same.

I see that Ryan replied with a similar scripting answer. I appreciate
that info, however you still would need to generate the list of tapes
to send to the stdin of the program ... either manually or via a
media report. Guess I'll have to put my perl cap back on and limber
up the fingers ;)

--
Bradley W. Fisher
Motorola IISG/Desktop Solutions UNIX systems consultant