Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Using CAP/Mailslot and Netbackup 3.4

2001-02-09 11:42:13
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Using CAP/Mailslot and Netbackup 3.4
From: Dennis Dwyer dfdwyer AT tecoenergy DOT com
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 11:42:13 -0500
You know ... with all the interest that seems to be flying around this group
regarding injecting and ejecting more than one tape at a time through a CAP
door, it appears that those features oughta be standard issue within the
NetBackup product. Perhaps a Veritas person who monitors this list can give us
some insight as to whether that will ever happen and when (cast in Jell-O of
course). I'd hate to think as the NBU product evolves, it won't include this
capability.

Regards,
Dennis

Quote: "Time is not a test of the truth"
Translation: Just because you've always done it that way, doesn't make it right

Dennis F. Dwyer
Enterprise Storage Manager
Tampa Electric Company

(813) 225-5181  - Voice
(813) 275-3599  - FAX

Visit our corporate website at www.tecoenergy.com

>>> Raymond Jackson <Jacksonr AT lucent DOT com> 02/09/01 11:33AM >>>

  Here's one in ksh I just finished.  It works with our Sun L700
(a re-labeled StorageTek.)

  I first tried using vmchange with the "-e" option, but I got
back an error indication that it wasn't supported for my library.
With the help of this list I switched to tldtest and vmupdate
and it's working nicely now.

  I'm supporting a library in Colorado from here in California.
There are operators there, but they only move tapes; they
don't know anything about NBU.  I first wrote a script to run
in the morning ejecting tapes based on our offsite retention
policy that emails the operators when the tapes are in the CAP.
This second script runs late in the afternoon and loads up the
replacement tapes that the operators put in the CAP during the
day.  We've only been running a week with both scripts, but so
far it's looking good.

Ray