Networker

[Networker] SV: [Networker] AFTD device/nsrstage command with 8.0.1.5

2013-07-01 03:31:29
Subject: [Networker] SV: [Networker] AFTD device/nsrstage command with 8.0.1.5
From: Tony Albers <Tony.Albers AT PROACT DOT DK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 07:25:25 +0000
Ok, here's a short instruction on how to do it, but this is from memory since I
don't have GUI access to any NW servers right now :

1. Choose a client which saves to an AFTD pool, and set it's retention to 21
days.
2. Create a clone job that runs 2 times a week and looks back 7 days (for
overlapping, in case a clone job fails). In the number of saveset copies on the
destination pool, choose 1.
        Choose the tape pool that you would normally use for this kind of
backup and retention.
        Set the retention times to the retention you _really_ want, say 3
months.
        In the selection tab, choose savesets from the pool on the AFTD that
you saved to.
3. Check that everything looks fine, and try to run the cloning.
4. When you check your retention on savesets using mminfo, remember to use
clretent -since this is the only one that reports the retention for each clone
instance of a saveset.
        -so:  mminfo -avot -q ssid=12345678 -r ssretent  would report the
retention of the saveset still on the AFTD and you'll be nervous.
         And: mminfo -avot -q ssid=12345678 -r ssretent,clretent would report 2
savesets, one on the AFTD and the other on the tape, with the right retention.
5. This means that the clients' savesets on the AFTD will be deleted when they
expire, after 21 days. And the savesets on tape will expire when their clretent
has been reached just like if they were normal tape savesets.

And as a side note, remember that a clone is exactly that, a clone. This means
that NW doesn't care the least whether you point it to a clone to do the
recover from or the original saveset.

/tony