Networker

Re: [Networker] Spanning savesets across multiple AFTD devices

2012-04-26 09:37:10
Subject: Re: [Networker] Spanning savesets across multiple AFTD devices
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 09:33:43 -0400
> FTDs just behave like tapes. The main differences to their
> predecessor, the 'optical' device media are
>   - FTD media can handle individual save sets
>   - FTD media can only read OR write

Shouldn't be a problem, as I won't be reading when I'm writing ..

> Besides that, the FTD media will only be overwritten when
>   - All save sets on the media have expired (are in the state
> 'recyclable') so the media became 'recyclable' too     AND
>   - NW needs a media from the same pool on this SN    OR
>   - The administrator relabels the media

I spoke with EMC Tech Support. I explained that I manually remove savesets
that have been cloned, after a certain number of days (using "nsrmm -d
-S"), and then reclaim storage using "nsrstage -C -V". I asked about doing
this explicitly. That if Device #1 was full, and would savesets then
continue onto Device #2; they said yes. I said "what about when I manually
clear space on Device #1 using "nsrmm -d" and "nsrstage -C -V"; would NW
then be able to use the now free space on Device #1? They said that NW
would continue to use Device #2 until it filled up, and then would go back
and use Device #1, since it now had free space.

Are you saying that is NOT what would happen? That I would have to
manually re-label Device #1 before I can use it again? I haven't time (nor
the resources) to test that yet.

All my (A)FTD devices are in/will be in the same pool. Is that not a good
idea? It's been working fine as AFTD device for the last few years.