Networker

Re: [Networker] Spanning savesets across multiple AFTD devices

2012-04-24 12:17:35
Subject: Re: [Networker] Spanning savesets across multiple AFTD devices
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 12:14:01 -0400
> an AFTD media will never be set to full AUTOMATICALLY. So this will not
work.
> I am pretty sure that you might set it to full but not when there is
> a pending write. Consequently, if you abort the write process, the
> aborted save set will automatically be deleted which means that a
> save set can never be continued on another media (no matter which type).
>
> You can achieve what you want but in this case you must use the
> predecessor, the FTD device type.

Huh. I completely forgot about FTD devices, since I always use AFTD ..

So here's what I want:

Write to device.
Automatically clone to tape when backup finished. (this is what my AFTD
devices do now)

I want the data to stay on the device until I manually clear it with a
script (this way, I have multiple days backup available immediately on
disk, for quick recovers).
So if the FTD device gets full, I want it to just sit, until I manually
clear it with a script as a scheduled task. (I parse an mminfo command,
and then remove the savesets I've already cloned that are of a certain age
with nsrmm, and clear AFTD space with "nsrstage -C -V".

I assume I can (must?) do the same with the FTD device?

I'm still unclear how NW will keep using a device until full (I get that I
must somehow set the capacity of the FTD device to be the size of the
LUN), and then automatically starts using the next device. And when I
clear space on Device #1 (with that scheduled script), will NW go back and
re-use that space, even if Device #2 has space available?