Networker

[Networker] Confusing tape problem...

2010-10-13 09:41:37
Subject: [Networker] Confusing tape problem...
From: Francis Swasey <Frank.Swasey AT UVM DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 09:39:50 -0400
I am having an issue with my tape system that I hope someone can help me get
some insight into.

Basically, tapes are failing to write the full amount.  However, when I stage
the contents from
them to other tapes and test the tapes that failed, they never have a problem
writing the full
tape.  Therefore, I have been assuming that this is a tape drive issue, but it
happened
yesterday on 16 tapes in a row on a tape drive that I just replaced with a
brand new one last
Friday.  So, now, I'm horribly confused about what could be causing random
drives to be able to
verify the tape label but then fail to write beyond approximately 2GB on an
LTO4 tape
cartridge.  I'm beginning to wonder if the fibre cables have "gone bad" but
this is so random
and would mean that almost all of the cables have this same problem...

Anyone have suggestions on ways to identify the root cause?