Networker

[Networker] Experience with Solaris 8 client / 7.5.2 server?

2010-04-15 12:14:09
Subject: [Networker] Experience with Solaris 8 client / 7.5.2 server?
From: Len Philpot <Len.Philpot AT CLECO DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 11:09:50 -0500
We're headed toward an upgrade to 7.5.2 on a Solaris 10 (SPARC) server.
However, we have a number of Solaris 8 Oracle server clients. Given that
Solaris 8 is not officially supported by Networker 7.5+, and given that
we'll have these Solaris 8 clients for a while (application dependencies
on specific OS releases, etc.), we're almost certainly going to end up
with some kind of hybrid environment for at least a while. We're looking
at 7.5.2 for two reasons: 1) It is, or soon will be, the newest
Sun-branded EBS release (which we use) and 2) it fixes the 'savepnpc'
multiple-run issue, which would be a show stopper for us since we use
savepnpc to cycle apps / databases.

The way I see it, until all our Sol 8 systems are upgraded, we have a few
choices against a 7.5.2 server:

1. Keep the current (7.2) client
2. Try the 7.5.2 client
3. Try an interim client from 7.[34]x

Once again, in particular we're interested in whether or not savepnpc
exhibits the 'run multiple times' problem seen in 7.5.1 in any of these
scenarios (plus, obviously that everything else works as expected :-)

We're certainly going to test all we can, but it would be hugely helpful
if anyone has worked through this before and has (even empirical)
knowledge of what works and what doesn't. I'm aware that "unsupported"
doesn't necessarily imply "won't work" but rather just "you're on your
own".

Thanks!