Networker

Re: [Networker] Some issues. GUI only backs to "default" and some more...

2009-05-15 16:19:57
Subject: Re: [Networker] Some issues. GUI only backs to "default" and some more...
From: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 20:06:20 +0000
On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 10:12:30AM -0400, NEO wrote:
> 1. GUI only backups to the "Default" pool
> From the Networker User GUI I can't choose what pool I send an Backup
> to. I have configured the pools, groups and media appropriately but
> there's still no go. It always sends the backup to the "Default"
> pool. The client is part of the group that is added to the pool. And
> the media is assigned to the pool. But still it just sends it to
> "default".

Pool settings are restrictions.  The less you specify, the more can go
in there.  Is the only specification on the pool the 'client' spec, or
do you have other items set (like 'devices', 'groups', and 'levels')?
Groups are usually the bad one.  Manual backups are not part of any
group.  So if a group is listed, no manual backup can use the pool.

> >From the command line I can send it to other pools with the -b flag.
>
> 2. Commandline "save" is only for archive? Not backup...?
>
> save -b "ODHeinrich" -o "vss:*=off" -y "forever" Y:\PLAYGROUND\rewraped_mxf
> 3817:save: Using mekarchive01 as server
> 39078:save: SYSTEM error: Can only archive data to archive pools.
>
> 5777:save: Cannot open save session with mekarchive01
> 7167:save: save completion time: 2009-05-15 16:02:34
>
> Any ideas what could be causing this?

man save
[...]
     -y retention

     Sets the date (in nsr_getdate(3) format) when the saved data will
     become recyclable.  The special value forever is used to indicate a
     volume that never expires (i.e. an archive volume) must be used.
     By default, the server determines this date for the save set based
     on the retention policies in effect.  This option allows overriding
     the existing policies on a save by save basis.

> Misc questions surrounding NetWorker
> Can I from the admin part browse the database? Or maybe from a webbrower? I
> mean just like browsing around in it like in the excellent application
> "WhereIsIt"...?

Which database, the file database?  No, not easily.  'mminfo' is your
visibility into the media database and 'nsrinfo' is your visibility into
the file database.

--
Darren