Networker

[Networker] Some issues. GUI only backs to "default" and some

2009-05-18 03:56:29
Subject: [Networker] Some issues. GUI only backs to "default" and some
From: NEO <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 03:49:49 -0400
dmitri wrote:
> Hi NEO, welcome to the forum.
> You don't need to specify pool each time you run a backup.  Just open your
> GUI, go to <media>-<media pools>, open desired pool properties, under "basic"
> tab add your groups in "data source" field.  That's it

Ahh... I see now that you meant in the admin GUI. This is already done and what
I meant with:

"The client is part of the group that is added to the pool. And the media is
assigned to the pool. But still it just sends it to "default""

So the Group have access to the pool. But still it refuses to backup to
anything else then "default".  And from what I can see the config of my group
is no different then the default so can't understand why it doesn't work. I
have read about others that haven't been able to backup to anything else then
"default" but never read about a solution for it.

dmitri wrote:
> Use "savegrp" command if you want to run your backup manually. Correct syntax
> is:
> savegrp [-c <host>] -g <group_name>

Regarding this, just to clarify what I meant earlier. If I use this I can't
"backup specific", right? From the GUI I can "backup specific". But maybe this
ain't possible from the command line and that I'm walking in the territory of
"archiving" here?

A Darren Dunham wrote:
> Pool settings are restrictions. The less you specify, the more can go
> in there. Is the only specification on the pool the 'client' spec, or
> do you have other items set (like 'devices', 'groups', and 'levels')?
> Groups are usually the bad one. Manual backups are not part of any
> group. So if a group is listed, no manual backup can use the pool.

Oh. This for sure sounds like something I must have missed in the manual. Will
uncheck my group from it and give it another go. But on the other hand, if I
uncheck the group. How does the GUI client choose to what pool to backup? Feels
like it can end up anywhere? Hmm...

My group is confed like:

BASIC TAB
Identity
   Name: ODHeinrich

Configuration
   Enabeled: Check
   Pooltype: Backup
   Label template OD Archive

Data Source
   Groups: Henrik_OD

SELECTION CRITERIA TAB
Data Source
   Clients: mekarchive01
   Save sets: <EMPTY>
   Levels: full

Target Device
   Devices: \\.Tape0

CONFIGURATION TAB
Data management
   Max parallelism: 0
   auto media verify: check

Configuration
   Store index entries: check

A Darren Dunham wrote:
> Which database, the file database? No, not easily. 'mminfo' is your
> visibility into the media database and 'nsrinfo' is your visibility into
> the file database.

The database of all files that have been backuped/archived. Would be sweet if
it was easily browsable and searchable. Something that most of the
backup/archive aps I tested so far, for some reason, don't have.

Must add another question. Is it possible to restore specific files in a save
set? Or is a complete "save set" the only thing that can be restored?