Networker

[Networker] VMWare consolidated backup client licensing

2009-02-04 06:07:07
Subject: [Networker] VMWare consolidated backup client licensing
From: tkimball <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 06:00:54 -0500
Each ESX host will use one (normal?) CAL.  Any hosts inside those ESX hosts
should not use CALs (in 7.5 at least).

I did not see anything in prior posts (or the release notes) that make me think
there is a separate CAL for any VM 'master hosts,' since they're supposed to
support more than just VMWare.

[For example, it would be ideal if a Child Zone in Solaris 10 can be counted as
a 'virtual' CAL, when the Global is already in backup.  Even better in an LDOM
situation, but that's much harder to determine.]

--TSK