Networker

[Networker] NetWorker Server not found via short name?

2009-01-05 15:40:14
Subject: [Networker] NetWorker Server not found via short name?
From: JGillTech <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 15:35:45 -0500
I have PTR records for all my hosts as well as multiple A-records (central DNS
server and AD A-record for domain membership).  I don't believe Windows 2008
Domain Servers depends on WINS, its appears to rely only on DNS.

My clients are all FQDN, with the exception of the NetWorker server which is by
shortname.  This is likely the source of my problem.  I can't simply change
this without touching every client.   All the clients were auto-populate with
their shortname and FQDN.  The AD domain controllers were populated with their
shortname, FQDN, and AD DNS information.

I can ping and connect via RPC to the NetWorker Server from the client.
However, I can't resolve the shortname.  When I reference the University-wide
WINS service in my IP configuration I can find my NetWorker server via
shortname.  However, I am going to be running my own WINS services eventually.
Some of my clients will be on the University-WINS servers, others will be on my
WINS services.  WINS is not a good way to locate the NW server in my opinion.
Why not rely on DNS?

Further, perhaps someone has an answer to this:  Under Local Hosts in NW
Administration, the NW Server node has several peer hostnames listed, and NSRLA
resources for each client are listed under Local Hosts.  All the NSRLA
resources under Local Hosts are by FQDN, other than the NW Server itself.
Under the NW Server, may of the peer hostnames are not FQDN (shortname).  Does
anyone have an explanation for this behavior?  It seems to have something to do
with append DNS suffix for Windows clients and the hostname entry for Linux
clients.  Some hostname entries are FQDN rather than the host name itself.
Configuration error?