Networker

Re: [Networker] NetWorker Server not found via short name?

2009-01-05 09:39:21
Subject: Re: [Networker] NetWorker Server not found via short name?
From: Fazil Saiyed <Fazil.Saiyed AT ANIXTER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 08:39:15 -0600
Hi,
Your issue may be DNS and not Wins, do you add DNS entries and reverse
look-ups for each client ? any host files ? Depending on AD
implementation, AD can be configured to not rely on Wins.
Do you create your client with FQDN or short name, if there are any alias
for this clients, have you verified if they are specified in the Aliases
tab in networker clients?
Lastly, the TCP\IP settings on your Networker server & client could also
influence the name resolutions.Try using nslookup to verify client entry
within DNS along with ping -a.
HTH

JGillTech <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
Sent by: EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
01/05/2009 08:28 AM
Please respond to
NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU

NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
cc

Subject
NetWorker Server not found via short name?

Recently I have deployed a new AD forest with separate WINS service for my
center.  Currently my NetWorker server utilizes the University-wide WINS
server.  Therefore, my domain controllers can't resolve a short-name to
IP.  When disabling the WINS services on my DCs and utilizing the
University-wide services, I can successfully backup and map the short-name
to IP.

Why is a short-name being used rather than the FQDN to
find/locate/authenticate the NetWorker Server?  I assume this occurs
during the authentication between the client and server. The log has the
following error messages:

Jan 03 22:23:04 cpback: --- Unsuccessful Save Sets ---
Jan 03 22:23:04 cpback: * cpname1.xxxx.xxxx.edu:All 1 retry attempted
Jan 03 22:23:04 cpback: * cpname1.xxxx.xxxx.edu:All 7140:savefs: IP
address for host cpback could not be determined through DNS.
Jan 03 22:23:04 cpback: * cpname2.xxxx.xxxx.edu:All 1 retry attempted
Jan 03 22:23:04 cpback: * cpname2.xxxx.xxxx.edu:All 7140:savefs: IP
address for host cpback could not be determined through DNS.

My client installation on the DC references the NetWorker server by its
FQDN.  However, I believe the program occurs during authentication.  I am
not sure how the auth process works with 7.4.3... any suggestions would be
helpful.

|This was sent by Jonathan.Gill AT uconn DOT edu via Backup Central.

type