Networker

Re: [Networker] NetWorker Server not found via short name?

2009-01-05 15:55:36
Subject: Re: [Networker] NetWorker Server not found via short name?
From: Fazil Saiyed <Fazil.Saiyed AT ANIXTER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 14:52:59 -0600
Hello,
What are your TCP\IP settings on the server, DNS< Wins, domain suffix etc,
just do ipconfig -all ( windows).
You can get your server to be Long name via either alias or adding domain
name in the "more" field for server ( Primary DNS suffix ) , server
properties , try this out on the test box to be sure ( windows).
Also the local host file entry can refer to the long and the shortname,
i.e
I0.10.10.20     servera.domain.com      servera
HTH

JGillTech <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
Sent by: EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
01/05/2009 02:35 PM
Please respond to
NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU

NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
cc

Subject
NetWorker Server not found via short name?

I have PTR records for all my hosts as well as multiple A-records (central
DNS server and AD A-record for domain membership).  I don't believe
Windows 2008 Domain Servers depends on WINS, its appears to rely only on
DNS.

My clients are all FQDN, with the exception of the NetWorker server which
is by shortname.  This is likely the source of my problem.  I can't simply
change this without touching every client.   All the clients were
auto-populate with their shortname and FQDN.  The AD domain controllers
were populated with their shortname, FQDN, and AD DNS information.

I can ping and connect via RPC to the NetWorker Server from the client.
However, I can't resolve the shortname.  When I reference the
University-wide WINS service in my IP configuration I can find my
NetWorker server via shortname.  However, I am going to be running my own
WINS services eventually.  Some of my clients will be on the
University-WINS servers, others will be on my WINS services.  WINS is not
a good way to locate the NW server in my opinion.  Why not rely on DNS?

Further, perhaps someone has an answer to this:  Under Local Hosts in NW
Administration, the NW Server node has several peer hostnames listed, and
NSRLA resources for each client are listed under Local Hosts.  All the
NSRLA resources under Local Hosts are by FQDN, other than the NW Server
itself.  Under the NW Server, may of the peer hostnames are not FQDN
(shortname).  Does anyone have an explanation for this behavior?  It seems
to have something to do with append DNS suffix for Windows clients and the
hostname entry for Linux clients.  Some hostname entries are FQDN rather
than the host name itself.  Configuration error?

|This was sent by Jonathan.Gill AT uconn DOT edu via Backup Central.

type