Networker

[Networker] NetWorker Retention Policy Qs?

2008-11-25 14:50:14
Subject: [Networker] NetWorker Retention Policy Qs?
From: JGillTech <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 14:49:14 -0500
My NetWorker Admin guide stated the Auto Media Management "Recycles volumes
eligible for reuse that are loaded into the device."  I assume a volume was
eligible for reuse when it expires and becomes recyclable.  Thanks for the
update!

I am running 7.4.3, the most recent version.   I have a retention policy
associated with the clone pool of 1 year.  The clients have a retention/browse
policy of 2 months.  There is no retention policy associated with the full
backup pool.  Up until the clone operation, the retention period of 2 months
was observed.  After the clone, the volume expiration was 1 year.

Why would the volume expiration differ from the save set expiration?  If the
volume is full, the expiration of the volume should be equal to that off the
save set with the longest retention.  Correct?  The volume expiration for my
latest full backup volumes is 2 months, the monthly clone operation has not run
yet.  When it does, I suspect the volume expiration will be 1 year rather than
2 months.  Are you saying the NetWorker's expiration is not relevant?

I am aware that dependent backups (incremental) must expire before save set
expires.  However, I am not sure what you mean by "giving the effect that a
full does not expire until the next oldest full reaches it expiry date."  Can
you break this down a bit?  My understanding is such:  I have a 2 week
retention policy with incremental monday-saturday, full on sunday.  The first
backup will not expire until 3 weeks because the incrementals are dependent on
the full backup.

Running the mminfo commmand, I found the following information pertaining to
this inquiry:

- Backups on 10/31 have a ssretent of 12/31/2008, with a clretent of 12/31/2008

- Backups on 11/01 have a ssretent of 11/2/2009, with a clretent of 1/1/2009

This information is misleading to me.  The backups on 11/01 shouldn't have a
retention of 11/2/2009.  The clretent should be 11/2/2009, not the ssretent.  I
am looking at a volume from the full backup pool.

Looking at the volume from the clone pool I found that the ssretent and
clretent are the same for 11/01, which is 11/2/2009.

Any ideas on why this is backwards for the full backup volume?