Networker

Re: [Networker] NetWorker Retention Policy Qs?

2008-11-26 17:30:27
Subject: Re: [Networker] NetWorker Retention Policy Qs?
From: Preston de Guise <enterprise.backup AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 09:27:46 +1100
Hi Jonathan,

On 27/11/2008, at 08:56 , JGillTech wrote:

Preston,

Thanks for the clarification. To make sure I understand, let me apply to a hypothetical situation:

I have a 2 week retention period. Full backups are conducted on Sunday, with incremental throughout the week. If I ran a full backup on week 1, the expiration would be two weeks from that date. However, because of the dependency chain the actual expiration will be 3 weeks (the date of the last incremental in the chain).

Assuming all backups completed successfully this is accurate.

A formula to model this situation is:

Expiration = save set retention of last dependent backup

Or to be more precise:

A saveset dependency chain expires when the last dependent saveset in the chain expires.

Cheers,

Preston.

--
Preston de Guise

"Enterprise Systems Backup and Recovery: A Corporate Insurance Policy":

http://www.amazon.com/Enterprise-Systems-Backup-Recovery-Corporate/dp/1420076396

http://www.enterprisesystemsbackup.com