Networker

[Networker] Cloning question

2008-04-14 16:18:46
Subject: [Networker] Cloning question
From: Bruce Breidall <bruce.breidall AT CONCUR DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 16:13:24 -0400
Assume that I manually cloned a saveset that has a browse and retention of
91 days, but the clone pool has a retention of 3 days. If I cloned that
savest today, the ssretent would be today +91, and the clretent would be
today+3.

When it is time to figure out which volumes to pick to come back onsite,
and you used mminfo to determine which volumes in the clone pool
have "expired" in terms of the clretent", could you then just relable that
tape into your SCRATCH pool and mark it recyclable without messing with
the original savesets that have a much greater retention? Would it be
better to set an actual ssretent on the cloned savesets via the nsrclone
command, in addition to specifying the retention time on the clone pool?

What I am trying to do is separate clients by prod and test groups and
pools, and manually clone only the prod data. Since we do fulls once per
week, and L9s the other 6 days, I wanted to try and have a three week
offsite rotation for the fulls and a 3 day rotation on the incrs.

Does this sound feasible to anyone? Thanks.