Networker

Re: [Networker] Cloning question

2008-04-15 17:57:09
Subject: Re: [Networker] Cloning question
From: Davina Treiber <Davina.Treiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 22:53:05 +0100
Bruce Breidall wrote:
Your assumptions are right on, everything is in one datacenter.

I think the direction I am taking is acceptable, and hopefully I have
made enough of the right decisions to allow a good foundation to build
on. Unfortunately, with NW, you won't know that until you run into the
next roadblock.

I'm glad to hear that we share the same view of NW and its capabilities,
or lack thereof. I can't imagine what I would do if it wasn't for this
listserv.

You have a very negative attitude. Can I suggest that instead of dragging out a discussion like this and coming to a negative conclusion based on assumptions, you just run a simple test to find out how it works.

I have just done exactly that and the results are good. NetWorker 7.4.1 works as designed in this area.

I ran a test backup with a one month browse and retention. I then created a clone pool with a one day retention, and cloned the save set to the clone pool. mminfo give the following results:

 ssid         clone id pool           retent   browse  clretent ssflags
4177862385  1208295153 Default        05/15/08 05/15/08 05/15/08 vF
4177862385  1208295364 test clone     05/15/08 05/15/08 04/16/08 vF

As you would expect, the browse period is the same on the original and the clone, the ssretent is also the same on both, but the clretent values differ.

I then moved the clock forward on my test system by a couple of days and ran nsrim. The same mminfo command now shows the following:

 ssid         clone id pool           retent   browse  clretent ssflags
4177862385  1208295153 Default        05/15/08 05/15/08 05/15/08 vF

The only remaining save set is the original. The clone has expired (and as it was on a file device on my test system it has been removed and space reclaimed). The browse and retention of the original are unchanged.

So - working exactly as we would like it to work. In fact it works better than I could have imagined, bearing in mind that browse can never be longer than save set retention. I thought this was a serious limitation, but because of the way the clretent field works I can see it works just fine. The only problem I can see is when you wish to work it in reverse, so that the clone has a longer retention than the original and you want browse to match the longer retention. I don't think that will work too well.