Networker

Re: [Networker] Networker 7.2.2 on Sun X4500 using AFTD and zfs

2008-03-19 11:13:36
Subject: Re: [Networker] Networker 7.2.2 on Sun X4500 using AFTD and zfs
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 11:08:54 -0400
On Mar 19, 2008, at 10:57 AM, Jon Hickmott wrote:
We are thinking of adding a couple of storage nodes running on Sun X4500s (thumpers). We are wondering if anyone has any experience running in the following situation:

  * Networker 7.2.2
  * Solaris 10 on x86
  * Advanced File Type devices running on ZFS file systems

I run a Storage Node on a Sun X4500 with Solaris 10 x86, but with NetWorker 7.4.1 with a 10GB ZFS advanced file type device. I use that device for staging backups to tape. It works well, except for one issue. If the advanced file type device is not in use, recovers from it work well. Unfortunately, I am not able to recover data while a scheduled backup is in progress and writing to it. I have a case open with EMC now about this. EMC says they put out a fix for that problem with NetWorker 7.4.1, but I suspect that when they put that fix out it was for Windows, not Solaris. In response to my case, they did some testing, but their testing was with the device sitting on a Windows and they were unable to replicate the problem. Yesterday, I asked EMC to test it in a configuration that's closer to what I am using, which they agreed to do right away, but I haven't heard back yet since yesterday on this case.