Networker

Re: [Networker] compression or lack there of

2008-03-06 12:32:09
Subject: Re: [Networker] compression or lack there of
From: Howard Martin <howard.martin AT EDS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 12:27:56 -0500
I think the hbn device will still compress you might get a bit more on
using just bn.

A 800 GB native tape when not using compression won't show a lot different
to 800 GB on it under Networker as it reporting how many bytes were sent
to the drive. Networker doesn't say the the 792GB represents say 3TB of
data and therefore the tape contains 3TB.

Hope that makes sense.

On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 12:04:39 -0500, Paula Ehn <pehn AT CC.UMANITOBA DOT CA>
wrote:

>Hi gang!
>
>Is anyone out there using LTO-4 tape drives without hardware compression?
>
>I'm trying to figure out if I have a problem with the tape drives,
Networker
>or the drivers/patch in Solaris.
>
>We use Networker's compression on the client side so that we are
>transferring a smaller amount of
>data over our LAN to the backup server. To avoid compressing the data
twice,
>we have compression turned
>off on our LTO-4 tape drives. For expample, we use /dev/rmt2hbn instead
>Problem is I'm seeing
>consistantly that only 792-794GB are being put onto each tape.
>
>We use to use this same configuration when we used AIT-1 then later AIT-3
>tape drives and saw a wild spread in the amount of data being put onto a
>given tape. For AIT-3 it was anywhere from 120-320GB depending on how
>compressable the data was.
>For LTO-4 I'm expecting a similar spread but not less than the native
>capacity on the tape which is 800GB. I expect it to
>read better then 1TB on a tape at least.
>
>Any ideas?
>
>Networker 7.2.2 Jumbo (server and client)
>Solaris 9
>STK SL500 library with 4 HP FC LTO-4 tape drives.
>Devices in Networker set to LTO-3 (LTO-4 option not available in 7.2.2)
and