Networker

Re: [Networker] compression or lack there of

2008-03-09 19:40:37
Subject: Re: [Networker] compression or lack there of
From: Tim Nicholson <tim AT MAIL.USYD.EDU DOT AU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 10:21:02 +1100
Hi,

I also am not surprised.

I have LTO-1, LTO-2 and LTO-3 drives. We also use client side compression to save LAN traffic, disk space (on advanced file devices) and data passing
trough the hosts and SAN while cloning.

One thing that these drives do to keep streaming, is to write some filler in if the in-coming data is not fast enough. I do not know what the parameters of this process, but it causes more tape to be used while writing the same
amount of data.

Another thing is that the file separators (EOF marks) do not count as data, but
do count for tape usage.

I do not get 400GB on my LTO-3s but I get 395-397GB. I get 201-207GB on my LTO-2s.