Networker

Re: [Networker] compression or lack there of

2008-03-06 13:44:42
Subject: Re: [Networker] compression or lack there of
From: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 18:40:15 +0000
On Thu, Mar 06, 2008 at 06:14:48PM +0000, A Darren Dunham wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 06, 2008 at 12:27:56PM -0500, Howard Martin wrote:
> > I think the hbn device will still compress you might get a bit more on
> > using just [mbn].
>
> It depends on the device.  LTO (and DLT) are explicit with the density
> settings.  So the c/u device is highest density with compression, while
> the h device is the same density without compression.  (and m is
> compression at a lower density with l being non-compressed at that same
> lower density).

Umm, after further investigation, let me retract this.  This is how DLTs
were set up, but LTOs aren't the same.  For now let me just say "never
mind".  :-)

> AIT devices don't have the explicit settings.  All devices have the same
> density configuration.  So I *think* (beware) that not using the c/u
> device is all you need to disable compression.  But I've never tried to
> test it.  (I'm using LTO at the moment and can't easily check AIT).

This appears to be correct if the manual page is right:

           When the
           [ST_MODE_SEL_COMP] flag is  set,  compression  will  be
           enabled  only   if the "c" or "u" device is used.  For
           any other device densities, compression will  be  dis-
           abled.