Networker

Re: [Networker] Migration Questions - VxVM /nsr, Sparc vs x86 in stability?

2007-09-25 11:20:53
Subject: Re: [Networker] Migration Questions - VxVM /nsr, Sparc vs x86 in stability?
From: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 15:15:37 +0000
On Tue, Sep 25, 2007 at 05:50:30AM -0400, T S Kimball wrote:
> --> We have /nsr on a Veritas VxVM / VxFS controlled filesystem, which
> in theory should be stored as endian-neutral (due to how VxFS works).

VxFS is not endian-netral.  For a given platform it has a native
representation, but it can be switched if the filesystem is moved to a
different system.  See 'fscdsconv'.

However, that is usually a minor point.  Moving the data physically from
one system to another is usually the easy part.

> If we can export/import the appropriate disk group to the new server,
> would this assist in the migration without needing the asm copy
> hassles described on the list?

I haven't been following closely, but if the asm copy is to convert the
logical networker data instead of just being a transport method, then
no.