Networker

Re: [Networker] how to backup bootstrap to specific pool

2007-09-17 11:20:45
Subject: Re: [Networker] how to backup bootstrap to specific pool
From: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 15:16:25 +0000
On Mon, Sep 17, 2007 at 12:32:52PM +1000, don karnash wrote:
> Hi Graig,
>
>   Thanks for your reply. I have added all the groups to this "bootstrap"
> pool. Accoring to my understanding on how networker selects a media:
>
>   GROUP
>   CLIENTS
>   SAVE SETS
>   LEVEL
>
>   Now, when I issue  /usr/sbin/nsr/savegrp -l full -O unix it will look at
> the group (all selected)
>
>   So all Default and Unix and bootstrap can hold the groups
>
>   Next clients: blank. So again all Default and Unix and bootstrap can hold
> the clients
>
>   Next save sets: explicitly mentioned bootstrap and index for bootstrap pool
> so it should go to bootstrap pool
>
>   Levels: does not come into picture
>
>   Then why is the bootstrap and index for unix group not saved in media
> belonging to bootstrap and why does it save to media belonging to unix.

Remember it's not whether or not the pool can hold the saveset (this one
appears that it will).  It's which pool is matched first.

>   When I issue : /usr/sbin/nsr/savegrp -l full -O nt, the bootstrap
>   and index do get saved to bootstrap pool. It is just unix group
>   bootstrap is being saved to media beloning to unix pool.

That suggests that that 'unix' pool matches the index savesets as well,
but that the settings make it match prior to the 'bootstrap' pool.

See the Admin guide for the section "Meeting the Criteria for More Than
One Pool Configuration".

Meeting the Criteria for More Than One Pool Configuration

  Depending on the pool configurations you create, you might have data
  that matches the criteria for more than one pool configuration. For
  example, if you configure one pool to accept data from a group called
  Accounting and you configure another pool to accept data from all full
  backups, the NetWorker server has to determine to which pool a full
  backup for the Accounting group is written. The server uses the
  following pool selection criteria:

   1. Group (highest precedence)
   2. Client
   3. Save set
   4. Level (lowest precedence)

  When data matches the attributes for two pools, for example, Group and
  Level, the pool data is written to the pool specified in the Group
  attribute. For example, in the case where the data from the group
  matched the criteria for two different pools (one configured to accept
  data from the Accounting group and the other to accept data from all
  full backups) the data is routed to the pool that accepts data from
  the Accounting group.
  [...]

So if the 'unix' pool matched the group (and didn't have any other
restrictions that prevented the pool from being selected), it will
always be chosen over other matching pool that do no specify a group.