Networker

[Networker] Making NDMP selective backups faster

2007-04-05 09:51:29
Subject: [Networker] Making NDMP selective backups faster
From: Fazil Saiyed <fazil.saiyed AT ANIXTER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 09:48:35 -0400
Hello,
Could you explain a bit the selective backup method you are employing, to
my knowlede, NDMP backups are block level with capability to restore at
file level ( db file in your case), i am not aware of any modules that
lets you backup or restore to file level with NDMP backups withen a dB.
You mentioned the GB links, so if you are using over the network method,
NDMP funtionality of block level backup does not change, however, you may
want to attach the drive directly to NDMP mirapoint server to use FC
speeds, usually, in most cases attaining native tape drive speed, this
will help your backups a lot, if i saw your logs correctly, it took you
over 25 hrs to backup just close to 600 GB,in my experiance with good NAS
performance ( NDMP-V4) in my case that much data can be backed up with
LTO2 in close to 6 hrs ( Netapp FAS3050c) in ndmp method.
So unless the mirapoint is performing poorly, you should attain heiger
speeds.
Adding storage node is a good idea in your case where lot of your backups
are over the network to the MS, the reason you did not see improvments is
probably because the server had different bottlenecks, i,e Network or your
clients and not the server itself.
Try using some testing with native ndmp dump to the tapes, bigasm, or MT
to verify your tape setup.
As far as server size, buy something that is reasonably fast with room to
grow if bottlenecks appear.
Hope that helps.