Networker

Re: [Networker] Migrating savesets from VTL to tape - making virtual tapes recyclable?

2007-04-05 09:35:12
Subject: Re: [Networker] Migrating savesets from VTL to tape - making virtual tapes recyclable?
From: "Landwehr, Jerome" <jlandweh AT HARRIS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 09:32:57 -0400
not exactly:

> 7.3 and above: Clones have independent retention. As I have so far
been
> avoiding 7.3 (for various reasons) I am not 100% sure of how this is
> implemented, but I assume you can set a different retention for a
> particular clone using the nsrmm command, and I think there is also
some
> mechanism to control retentions based on pools. Maybe someone can fill

> in more details of what is available here - e.g. perhaps you can
specify
> a different retention when you run nsrclone?

7.3.x implements only half of the 'fix'

you can set independent retention but not browse - all clones must have
the same browse time - and this browse time can't be later than the
earliest retention time!

In my situation, coming from the VTL are long retention clones, so
unless I want the browsability gone, I need to manually delete the
originals (from the VTL)

The proof - if you forgive EMC's obfuscation, this is from the man page
for nsrmm:

     -e time
          When used in conjunction with the -S  option,  it  sets
          the  retention  time  of the specified save set or save
          set clone  instance.   The  retention  time  should  be
          specified in the format that is acceptable to the func-
          tion nsr_getdate(1m).  If a  clone  identifier  is  not
          specified  all  clone  instances  will  be updated with
          specified retention time. The save set  retention  time
          will  reflect  the  longest  recoverable clone instance
          retention time.  It is possible for a clone instance to
          have  a  retention time less that browse time. However,
          the save set retention time may not be  set  such  that
          the  save set would become recyclable while it is still
          browsable.  Refer to the -w option for more details  on
          browse  time.   When  used in conjunction with volumes,
          the volume labeled will be an  Archive  volume  if  the
          value of time is forever (Archive volumes mean that the
          volume label never expires).  Any other value  of  time
          are not applicable to a volume.

     -w browse time
          Specifies the browse time for the  specified  save  set
          (supplied with the -S option).  Note that once the save
          set becomes recoverable, the browse  time  may  not  be
          changed.   The  browse  time should be specified in the
          format   that   is   acceptable   to    the    function
          nsr_getdate(1m).   The  browse time has to be after the
          insert time in the save set record, but  it  cannot  be
          after  the  retention  time.  If  the option -e was not
          used, the existing  retention  time  in  the  save  set
          record  is used for comparing with the specified browse
          time.  See under the option  -e  for  more  details  on
          retention time.

     -S ssid
          Changes ( -o) or removes ( -d) a save set from the Net-
          Worker  databases,  or used in changing the browse time
          (specified with -w) or the retention  time   (specified
          with  -e)  of  the specified save set record.  The save
          set is identified by a save set  identifier,  ssid.   **A
          save set instance, or clone, can be specified using the
          format ssid/cloneid (but, it is ignored when  used  for
          the  option -w).**  The mminfo(1m) program may be used to
          determine save set and clone identifiers.

jl