Networker

Re: [Networker] IBM versus Quantum versus HP LTO-3?

2007-01-29 14:37:10
Subject: Re: [Networker] IBM versus Quantum versus HP LTO-3?
From: Albert Eddie Contractor AFRPA CIO/IT <Eddie.Albert AT AFRPA.PENTAGON.AF DOT MIL>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 14:20:39 -0500
George our experience here has been:

Avoid IBM for your tech support like the plague!

Go to your Library Manufacturer for support. The high dollar item is the
Drives not the library but I believe the responsible entity would be
your library manufacturer who sold the IBM components as an upgrade.
(That is how it worked with ADIC (now Quantum).

We (AFRPA) had a horrible time getting the IBM LTO-2 Drives working in
our ADIC; "BUT" ADIC Tech Support was GREAT not just good but GREAT and
once we got the drives working with the proper drivers for the drive
they are almost bullet proof!

By the way, when we started this whole thing with ADIC 2 years ago, they
TOLD US the exact same thing using the same phrase. "IBM drives are
flaky to get them to settle in but once they are working they are bullet
proof."

My experience mentioned here was IBM LTO-2 drives in an ADIC SCALAR 100
Library SCSI attached to Windows 2003 SP# server. So your mileage may
vary.

2 Days left and two more job offers this morning woo-hoo, they love
me...they really love me! <Grin>

Semper Fidelis et Paratus! /ALE

Eddie Albert, Enterprise Network Engineer
Air Force Real Property Agency
Cell: (703) 298-7737