Networker

Re: [Networker] SAVE vs SAVEPNPC or SAVEGRP BACKUPS

2006-04-12 09:29:02
Subject: Re: [Networker] SAVE vs SAVEPNPC or SAVEGRP BACKUPS
From: Peter Viertel <Peter.Viertel AT MACQUARIE DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 23:26:26 +1000
this is where people often get a bit confused i think..

 you need a group which has 'auto-start' enabled which includes the
backup server itself. If you do this then you wont have a bootstrap at
the end of every other savegrp.

here's the relevant paragraph from the unix manpage for savegrp:

     specified printer).  If savegrp detects that  the  NetWorker
     server  is  not listed in any active group (a group with its
     autostart attribute set), then  the  server's  bootstrap  is
     saved with every group.

I don't think running savegrp -O is superior to letting a bootstrap
happen when you backup the server, but that is purely a matter of
opinion - other people think otherwise.

as for the directives - yes you are correct. client record directives do
get applied when you run savegrp manually, but there is no way I know of
to specify a directive on the savegrp cmdline.

NOTICE
This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may contain copyright
material of Macquarie Bank or third parties. If you are not the intended
recipient of this email you should not read, print, re-transmit, store or act
in reliance on this e-mail or any attachments, and should destroy all copies of
them. Macquarie Bank does not guarantee the integrity of any emails or any
attached files. The views or opinions expressed are the author's own and may