Networker

Re: [Networker] Poor performance backing up netapp filer via FC to LTO-3

2005-11-19 09:54:49
Subject: Re: [Networker] Poor performance backing up netapp filer via FC to LTO-3
From: Matthew Huff <mhuff AT OX DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 09:50:42 -0500

How is your client savesets defined, by volume or by qtree, or "ALL"? How large
are your volumes? How many files? What version of OnTAP and Legato are you
running? What level of NDMP are you set?

When doing NDMP backups, Legato issues a command to the client to start the
backup. The actual backup datastream is defined by the client, not Legato. In
NetApp's case, they use a modified ufsdump. It isn't the most efficient, but it
is reliable. It also is very serial oriented and has a hard time keeping the
drives spinning at full speed. In fact, there is a tape media issue with
"back-hitching or shoe-shining" using NetApps. The LTO-3 is better at handling
that though.

When 7.2 was released we migrated away from having the tape drives attached
locally to our NetApps and instead streamed the backups via TCP/IP. This
allowed a number of things. First it allowed us to share the tape units with
other backups (without using DDS). In 7.2 you can stream the NDMP backup within
a Legato datastream so it can parallelize it with other backups. By doing this
and backing up a the qtree level, we greatly increased our backup speed.

In order to get that backup speed, we had to configure a separate VLAN with a
dedicated Gigabit ethernet card in our NetApp and backup server. We are running
Ethernet Jumbo frames with some TCP tuning on our Sun Solaris box to increase
the window sizes and buffers. Our full backups went from 18 hours to around 5-6.

tcp tuning parameters:

ndd -set /dev/tcp tcp_max_buf    4194304
ndd -set /dev/tcp tcp_cwnd_max   2097152
ndd -set /dev/tcp tcp_xmit_hiwat 1048576
ndd -set /dev/tcp tcp_recv_hiwat 1048576
ndd -set /dev/tcp tcp_tstamp_always 1
ndd -set /dev/tcp tcp_wscale_always 1

We also tuned our Gigabit adapter:

/platform/sun4u/kernel/drv

name="pci100b,35" parent="/pci@8,700000/pci@2" unit-address="0" adv_pause_cap=1
accept-jumbo=1 infinite_burst=1 rx_dma_weight=3;
name="pci100b,35" parent="/pci@9,700000"       unit-address="2" adv_pause_cap=1
infinite_burst=1 rx_dma_weight=3;
name="pci100b,35" parent="/pci@9,600000"       unit-address="1" adv_pause_cap=1
infinite_burst=1 rx_dma_weight=3;

--
Matthew Huff           | One Manhattanville Rd
Director of Operations | Purchase, NY 10577