Networker

Re: [Networker] Poor performance backing up netapp filer via FC to LTO-3

2005-11-19 05:22:32
Subject: Re: [Networker] Poor performance backing up netapp filer via FC to LTO-3
From: Davina Treiber <DavinaTreiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 10:21:12 +0000
Ronny Egner wrote:
Hi list,

we are backing up our netapp filer by ndmp. The tape drive
is connected via fibre channel. We upgraded the drive from lto-2
to lto-3 recently. However: the backup performance  havent
changed since then (approx 25 mb/s). The new lto-3 drive should
come up with more than 50 mb/s....

This would indicate that the bottleneck in your system is NOT the tape drives. In my experience LTO-2 should be able to run at more than 25MB/s, so LTO-3 should run even faster.

I have seen LTO-2 drives running at > 50MB/s.

You need to look elsewhere to achieve performance increases.

Incidentally MB is megabytes, mb (if it existed) would be millibits.

"signoff networker" in the