Networker

[Networker] Clone and Stage together ?

2003-09-16 04:03:24
Subject: [Networker] Clone and Stage together ?
From: Riaan Louwrens <riaanl AT SOURCECONSULTING.CO DOT ZA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 10:13:48 +0200
Hi All,

I would like your thoughts on the following:

I have a disk subsystem to backup to (adv_file). I know how to implements
staging and (or) cloning.

What I would like to do is after a backup job copleted to "clone" (i.e. copy
either a cron or shceduled task) the save sets to tape (for off-site
storage) - but to retain the maximum amount of savesets on disk. When this
disk runs out of space to then implement a "cleanup" operation.

Staging does this for you - but I dont want to - "only" when I either reach
"x" amount of days or hit my watermarks - this operation to start - which
means you now have to build in enough headroom (read: wasted space) for a
stage process to start while the backup continues. As well concerned with
possible disk failure before your stage policies settings have been reached.

This is basically how DiskXtender works (i.e. immediate copy but only remove
body of files from origin when space low).

-BUT- I would like this to be implemented in Legato (somehow). (Meaning I
dont want to backup to disk and use diskxtender (either DXUL or DX2000) to
manage my disk).

Is this possible ? Has somebody implemented it before ? Any tips / tricks to
take note of ?

All thoughts would be appreciated.

Regards,

Riaan