Networker

Re: [Networker] DLT 7000 compression

2003-09-16 04:21:24
Subject: Re: [Networker] DLT 7000 compression
From: Davina Treiber <Treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 08:05:31 +0100
Librado Pamintuan wrote:

If you manually set the DLT 7000 tape drive to 35 Gb compressed mode,
will Legato Networker over ride this setting if the client directives
are not set to compress?
NetWorker does not have any effect on hardware compression, one way or
another. Hardware compression is selected by the OS, either via
settings, or by choice of device name. You might find that having set
the mode manually the OS will override it, but this is not NetWorker
doing this.

My advice would be to set the compression in SMIT for all your devices.

We cannot user software compression because it might be causing the
corruption of our big MS Access database files when restored.

That sounds unlikely. Is there some other possible reason for the
corruption? Is the Access database active when it is backed up? Can you
guarantee that nothing changed while you were backing it up? In any
case, software compression and hardware compression often don't work
well together, sometimes increasing the size. I usually use compressed
devices and never use compression directives.