Networker

Re: [Networker] transitioning from AIT-2 to AIT-3

2003-09-12 04:04:27
Subject: Re: [Networker] transitioning from AIT-2 to AIT-3
From: Ole Hermansen <oh AT DK.HEMPEL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 03:54:25 -0400
Hi Steve

I just upgraded my hardware from AIT-2 to AIT-3 yesterday, and it seem to
work fine. Before the upgrade, I was running NW ver. 7.0 on a Win2K server,
a 38 slot, 3 drive AIT-2 Overland LibraryPro as primary backup unit, and a
15 slot, 2 drive AIT-1 dedicated to cloning.

I replaced the 3 AIT-2 drives with new AIT-3 drives, and replaced the AIT-1
drives with my old (3 years) AIT-2 drives. New drivers for Win2K was added,
and then I deleted the devices and jukeboxes from Networker and recreated
them from jbconfig on a commandline.

It appears that everything is working proberly, I am able to read and
append to my old AIT-2 tapes, in fact, some tapes that was written to just
before the upgrade, and i continued to write to them after the upgrade. We
also did restore various files without problems. I have also written to AIT-
1 tapes with AIT-3 drives with no problem.
This was also what I expected, my supplier has done quite a big job
explaining that AIT-1 ~ AIT-3 are compatible, so when I, on the exact day
for my upgrade, started to hear about problems, I got quite worried, but
aparently for no reason ( so far ! )

Ole Hermansen

Group IT Technical Manager
Hempel A/S
Lundtoftevej 150, DK-2800 Kgs. Lyngby, Denmark