Networker

[Networker] transitioning from AIT-2 to AIT-3

2003-09-10 16:51:41
Subject: [Networker] transitioning from AIT-2 to AIT-3
From: Steve Barber <steveb AT CME.NIST DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 16:51:12 -0400
We're about to upgrade our jukebox's tape drives from AIT-2 to AIT-3.

I understand that AIT-3 can read AIT-2 tapes, and can also rewrite
them (in the new format).

I seem to recall in the past transitions were awkward because when
you change the media type for the device in Networker's device
configuration, Networker was unaware of these backwards compatabilities
and so I had to keep an old drive around to read the older tapes.

Is this still the case?  Has anyone come up with an elegant
way to do this?

What exactly changes when I change the device type from AIT-2 to
AIT-3?  Can/should I just not not bother changing the device definition?
(I could mark any partially written tapes as read-only before the
upgrade to prevent it from trying to append to an older format tape.)

Thanks,
Steve