Networker

[Networker] ClientPack for Network Appliance TO NDMP migration blues.

2002-10-15 14:47:54
Subject: [Networker] ClientPack for Network Appliance TO NDMP migration blues.
From: Barney Mowder <bmowder AT AURORA-SYS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 11:47:38 -0700
All-

  I an running Networker server V6.0.2. build 251 on an NT 4.0 SP 6a
machine.  The tape library is a direct peripheral of this server.

  One of the clients this server has is a NetApp box which uses Networker
ClientPack for Network Appliances as its backup method.

  Reading through past messages in this thread, I note that there is a
problem when the NetApp filesystem approaches 200GB, which seems to be
related to the codebase for the Clientpack (a limitation of Java, as I
recall) which causes backups of the NetApp to fail.  The accepted solution
is to migrate to an NDMP client for NetApp.

  This causes me some problems in that:

(a)     the Jukebox needs to be a direct peripheral of the NetApp box, which
means that I will now have to either buy two tape drives or cause the
NetApp's control server to be the Legato server as well.
(b)     I am told by the guys at Legato that all of my old, pre-NDMP backups
will not be restorable under the NDMP client.

  Has anyone else had to cope with these conversion problems?  Is anyone
else mad about this?  Is/was there a workaround?

Barney Mowder
Systems Administrator
Aurora Systems
60 Daggett Drive, San Jose, CA, 95134
Phone: (408) 432-7925
FAX:    (408) 452-5568
E-Mail administrator AT aurora-sys DOT com