Networker

Re: [Networker] use different names for the same backup client

2002-10-10 14:05:13
Subject: Re: [Networker] use different names for the same backup client
From: "Shelley L. Shostak" <sls AT QSTECH DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 11:05:05 -0700
On Thu, 10 Oct 2002, Zaigui Wang wrote:

> Subject: Re: [Networker] use different  names for the same backup client
>
> Yes. That is what we are doing currently. But I feel
> have the same name showing up many times is confusing
> and would like to use more meaningful client names.
>

> egedus_Gy�rgy <hegedusgy AT MEGATREND DOT HU> wrote:
> > You can use the same client name more. So you can
> > create two client with the
> > same name of SERVER on the NetWorker server. Then
> > you can assign different
> > proporties to the clients.

Zaigui,

I don't know if this will work, but it is something you could try.  Give the
same host multiple DNS names (CNAMES) which correspond to the client names you
want.  Then put the real client name in the Aliases field.

One can argue that having the same client name can make it easier to write
scripts and piece together clients to get a complete picture of what is
getting backed up.  While I have always been a fan of KISS, having a single
client per host and specifying ALL does not always work.  It is then necessary
to write scripts to collect filesystem information from the clients and
compare that with client information on the server to ensure that new
filesystems get recognized and added to backups.  This is trivial for unix
hosts, but more difficult for Windows boxes.  Cygwin and SNMP can help in
these environments.  For NAS/SAN boxes, hopefully the vendor provides MIBS
which will allow you to get a picture of the filesystems.

Shelley

PS.  I am still hope Legato will one day recognize the value of having a "-"
in the saveset field on a client to skip a named filesystem.  One could then
safely use multiple clients in a way which guarantees that all filesystems get
backed up even when new ones are added.