Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] LZO compression on Windows Client

2017-02-18 18:00:11
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] LZO compression on Windows Client
From: Phil Stracchino <phils AT caerllewys DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2017 17:59:08 -0500
On 02/18/17 15:01, compdoc wrote:
> On 02/17/2017 10:18 AM, Norbert Gomes wrote:
>
>> I read that LZO would be faster, but when I enable it (compression="LZO"
>> in the FileSet Include Options), no compression is applied
>
> I use LZO to backup my jpeg images, that are stored on SSDs. I used to
> use gzip2 for speed, and in the hopes it wouldn't damage the images as
> much as higher levels of compression might.

This is a misconception.  No level of lossless compression will damage
the compressed data.  A *lossy* compression algorithm would, but Bacula
for obvious reasons does not use any lossy compression algorithms.  That
would defeat the entire point of making backups.

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications