Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] bacula feedback about documentation

2017-02-08 19:11:31
Subject: [Bacula-users] bacula feedback about documentation
From: Serge Pouliquen <sp31415 AT free DOT fr>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2017 01:09:40 +0100
Hi,

Currently, I'm not a user of bacula and I'm only reading the
documentation in order to determine which backup solution I will choose.

I'm planning to set a backup for my personal computer, no server in
schedule at the moment.

A simple solution could be enough and not too expensive in time.

I was interested in bacula with SQLite, but looks unreliable according
to documentation.

Please find below, some remaining questions / feedbacks after reading of
documentation:

http://www.bacula.org/7.4.x-manuals/en/main/Installing_Bacula.html

Building Bacula from Source
SQLite is not supported on Solaris. This is because it frequently fails
with bus errors. However SQLite3 may work.
What Database to Use?
However, we should note that a number of users have had unexplained
database corruption with SQLite.
-with-sqlite3=sqlite3-path
     This enables use of the SQLite version 3.x database. The
sqlite3-path is not normally specified as Bacula looks for the necessary
components in a standard location (depkgs/sqlite3). See Installing and
Configuring SQLiteSqlLiteChapter chapter of this manual for more
details. SQLite3 is not supported on Solaris.

1/ I didn't find the SQLite Chapter, Is it possible to update documentation
in order to set a link or update formulation ?

http://www.bacula.org/7.4.x-manuals/en/main/Installing_Configuring_SQLi.html

PRAGMA synchronous=OFF

2/ I found that page. Is that option the possible source of sqlite
unreliability ?

3/ I have some difficulties to determine the current status for SQLite
and SQLite3
Sometime the first is used, sometime it is indicated that it is only the
second.

It is good to warn about SQLite, but what is current status ?
Documentation of version 5.0.x contains "similar" informations. It may
have changed, but maybe not.

I'm taking time to submit my feedbacks because my choice may change in a
few months. I hope to find better answer to my questions next time I
will evaluate my need and reading the documentation.

Regards,
Serge Pouliquen