Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] managing offsite tapes - How do *you* do it?

2015-05-10 17:34:28
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] managing offsite tapes - How do *you* do it?
From: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
To: Robert A Threet <robert3t AT netzero DOT net>
Date: Sun, 10 May 2015 17:29:10 -0400
> On May 7, 2015, at 5:05 PM, Robert A Threet <robert3t AT netzero DOT net>
> wrote:
>
> On my old Netbackup system, I had enough time to run a full backup on
> Saturday, then I'd run a full backup on Sunday which I would use for all the
> incrementals & restores during the week.  The Saturday tapes would be pulled
> Monday & sent offsite.
>
> I like the default Bacula setup for Monthly Fulls, Weekly Diffs & daily
> incrementals.  I have a lot more systems to back up and I can see I won't
> have time to do things the way I did. However, I still want to pull tapes and
> send some offsite.
>
> How are you guys doing this?  Do you create Pools and send certain tapes
> offsite, etc?
>
> Also, specifically, how do kick tapes out of a Dell TL4000?  Do you unmount
> the tapes in Bacula and then just use MTX commands?  I haven't seen anything
> covering this in anything online or in any of the books.

Do you have room on disk for a full backup?

I ask because i backup to disk, then copy to tape.  I retain the copy on disk
for some time.

You could do the same.  Backup to disk, then copy to tape, twice, from disk.

The disk pools are distinct from the tape pools.  I use SQL to select jobs for
copying: http://www.freebsddiary.org/bacula-disk-to-tape-via-sql.php

—
Dan Langille
http://langille.org/