Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] confused about differentials

2015-05-10 12:07:56
Subject: [Bacula-users] confused about differentials
From: Ian Young <ian AT iay.org DOT uk>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 10 May 2015 16:38:58 +0100
I've been using Bacula for quite a few years, and it has helped me dig myself
out of the occasional problem. Today I'm recovering from a more serious problem
and I find that some of the files I'm trying to restore don't get restored.

Amongst other things, I'm confused by the following from "list job=" output:

| 9,902 | srv-c701-backup | 2015-04-28 23:05:05 | B    | I     |   81,565 |
2,930,078,065 | T         |
| 9,911 | srv-c701-backup | 2015-04-29 23:05:04 | B    | I     |      191 |
2,098,677 | T         |
| 9,920 | srv-c701-backup | 2015-04-30 23:05:03 | B    | I     |      156 |
2,185,564 | T         |
| 9,929 | srv-c701-backup | 2015-05-01 23:05:04 | B    | I     |   91,030 |
3,450,906,888 | T         |
| 9,938 | srv-c701-backup | 2015-05-02 23:05:03 | B    | D     |      112 |
2,184,302 | T

What I am trying to understand is: if the incrementals are backing up things
that have changed since the previous incremental, why does the subsequent
differential not appear to include any of them, given that it's supposed to be
backing up everything changed since the last full dump (in my case, on
2015-04-19) ?

The director is running on a CentOS 6 system and claims to be Bacula 5.0.0. The
client is CentOS 7 and Bacula 5.2.x, but looking at the jobs for other systems
they also seem to have inconsistencies like this.

Restoring the most recent full dump, the most recent differential and all
subsequent incrementals definitely leaves a lot of files off the table. I've
had a bit more success by restoring from all the jobs available in order, but
unfortunately some of the earlier incrementals have been recycled so the data
unique to them appears to be lost.

I'd really appreciate any pointers as to what is going on here. I'm a bit
mystified, because this flies in the face of my previous understanding of the
whole idea of a differential backup.

    -- Ian