Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Retention periods & full backup

2014-11-25 12:21:45
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Retention periods & full backup
From: mark.bergman AT uphs.upenn DOT edu
To: Dániel L. <linux.rendszergazd AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 12:16:17 -0500
In the message dated: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 16:59:30 +0100,
The pithy ruminations from =?UTF-8?B?RMOhbmllbCBMLg==?= on
<[Bacula-users] Retention periods & full backup> were:
=> Hello Bacula Users,
=>
=> I have a problem.
=> I hope someone can point me to the right direction.
=>
=>
=> My schedules are the following:
=>     Run = Full 1st fri at 23:05
=>     Run = Differential 2nd-5th fri at 23:05
=>     Run = Incremental sun-thu at 23:05
=>
=>
=> I would like keep backups for 1 month.
=> See my retention periods below:
=> file retention = 1 months
=> job retention = 1 months
=>
=> The problem is, when the 1 month passes,
=> bacula deletes the Full backups,
=> so the subsequent Incrementel an Differentials backup become useless.

Agreed.

This is a frequently mentioned problem.

While there are work-arounds in terms of changing the retention period,
I would strongly argue that automatically purging the only full backup
when there are incrementals/differentials based on the same backup is
a serious design flaw.

I submitted a feature request to address that problem in 2009:

The idea of retaining a backup past it's retention period is completey
consistent with bacula's philosophy of deferring media purge/recycling
as long as possible.

Mark

=>
=> Is it possible?
=> What am i doing wrong?
=>
=> Thank You, for taking time to answer,
=> Daniel
=>

--
Mark Bergman                                           voice: 215-662-7310
mark.bergman AT uphs.upenn DOT edu                              fax: