Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] How to make bacula handle sparse files correctly

2014-11-24 17:26:31
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] How to make bacula handle sparse files correctly
From: Bill Arlofski <waa-bacula AT revpol DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 17:24:03 -0500
On 11/24/2014 12:14 PM, Polcari, Joe (Contractor) wrote:
> I added an instance of docker to one of my systems. This added a sparse file
> of 10 GB with a "real" size of 100 GB.
> This should have only added 10GB to my full backup but it added 100GB.
> Is there any way to tell bacula to handle sparse files correctly?

Hi Joe,

There is an option for the Include stanza of a Fileset:

sparse = yes

Which works correctly with sparse files. We had to add this option to one of
our filesets when a newer version of of our mail server changed one of its db
files to  sparse file.

> If so, why isn't this the default? Shouldn't it be?

Not sure. Unless the code that deals with sparse files adds additional
overhead when it is typically not required.

With our setup, I have _one_ file that is sparse so it is excluded using the
wild = option in the bigger Include stanza of a Fileset, then Included
specifically in a File =  option in the second Include stanza which has the
sparse = yes option.

Maybe someone else can comment re: default being sparse = no

Hope this helps.

Bill

--
Bill Arlofski