Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] bacula can't make use of multi drives

2014-11-19 11:54:43
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] bacula can't make use of multi drives
From: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2014 11:52:42 -0500
On 11/19/2014 11:10 AM, heitor AT bacula.com DOT br wrote:
Is it a bug that bacula cannot write to multiple drives for the jobs in the same pool? Will there be a fix. Back in March 2014 Wolfgang Denk wrote "it can" but how?

http://adsm.org/lists/html/Bacula-users/2014-03/msg00212.html

It's not a bug, but just the way it's designed.
"Prefer Mounted Volumes=no" it's a directive that could allow to write multiple volumes within the same pool at the same time, however this is a little buggy and not recommended at this time.

It's not a bug, but it is a little buggy??

I think that the only problem with setting "Prefer Mounted Volumes = no" is that it will result in a lot of moving of a volume back and forth between drives. While it might not be a bug, since it works as advertised, it CAN be a problem. For tape, it will really slow things down because it takes a substantial time to move a tape out of one drive and into another. For disk virtual autochangers, though, the moving between "drives" is simply closing a disk file and then re-opening it, meaning that the delay is very negligible.

If there is some other issue, like a race condition that I am not aware of, then that would indeed be a bug in my book. But I have used PreferMountedVolumes=no for disk virtual autochanger without (so far) encountering any such problems, just the swapping between drives. And for disk virtual autochangers, I don't see that as a problem in and of itself.

Regards,
Heitor Medrado de Faria  - LPIC-III | ITIL-F
Faltam poucos dias - Treinamento Telepresencial Bacula: http://www.bacula.com.br/?p=2174