Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Bacula Status Report

2014-11-06 13:20:09
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Bacula Status Report
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik AT iki DOT fi>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2014 19:18:11 +0100
On 10/29/2014 02:02 PM, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 12:49:33PM +0200, Kern Sibbald wrote:
>> Hello,

>>> Hello,

>>> Hmm.. so there are no "community" windows binaries anymore?
>> There have not been any for quite a number of years -- since 5.2.10.
> Yep. I assume those 5.2.10 windows (client) binaries should still work with
> the latest Bacula server?
>

>>> Are the windows binaries shipped by Bacula Systems proprietary or
>>> opensource ?
>> They are proprietary but they can be obtained freely by Bacula open
>> source users, and hopefully by everyone for personal use by the end
>> of the year.
>>
> OK.
>
>> The principal reason for only "one" version of the Windows binaries
>> was that for several years I was way too overloaded with work and
>> had to reduce somewhere, and since Windows is especially painful,
>> that is where I reduced.  I am now much less overloaded, so hope to
>> correct a number of such problems by the end of the year.
>>
> I can see that.. any plans to opensource the windows agent,
> at least the core components for basic file backups?

I have asked Bacula Systems to give the Enterprise version to individual
Bacula community users.  I will know by the end of the year.  That would
probably resolve the problem.  I still do not have the time to maintain
two separate code bases for Windows.  However, if I cannot get
permission to give the Enterprise version free to individual users (this
excludes, enterprises, ...) then I will create a separate community
version of Windows (one or the other will be available by 1Q15).  In the
mean time, if you are a Bacula contributor, you can get the Windows
binaries free, and if not, the price is ridiculously low considering all
the work that goes into making them.

Best regards,
Kern