Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Bacula Status Report

2014-11-06 13:26:49
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Bacula Status Report
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>, Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik AT iki DOT fi>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2014 19:25:09 +0100

On 10/29/2014 06:41 PM, Dan Langille wrote:

> On Oct 29, 2014, at 9:02 AM, Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik AT iki DOT fi> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 12:49:33PM +0200, Kern Sibbald wrote:

>>> There have not been any for quite a number of years -- since 5.2.10.
>>
>> Yep. I assume those 5.2.10 windows (client) binaries should still
work with the latest Bacula server?

>>> They are proprietary but they can be obtained freely by Bacula open
>>> source users, and hopefully by everyone for personal use by the end
>>> of the year.
>>>

>> OK.
>>
>>> The principal reason for only "one" version of the Windows binaries
>>> was that for several years I was way too overloaded with work and
>>> had to reduce somewhere, and since Windows is especially painful,
>>> that is where I reduced.  I am now much less overloaded, so hope to
>>> correct a number of such problems by the end of the year.
>>>

>> I can see that.. any plans to opensource the windows agent,
>> at least the core components for basic file backups?
>
> My understanding is the windows agent source code is open source.

This is true, but I stopped updating the Community Windows source as of
5.2.10, then in the 7.0.0 tree, I removed the whole Win32 directory
since it is so out of date, and the old 5.2.9 (or 5.2.10? I forget which
one) is still available.

> The binaries are no longer supplied by the community because the
community stopped building them.

> That’s why Bacula Systems stepped up and starting providing binaries.

Very true.

The Bacula Enterprise Windows binaries are for sale but at a very low
price.  If you are a Bacula contributor (name in AUTHORS file) you get
them free by asking.  I am hoping to have them free by the end of the
year for all "individual" users.

Best regards,
Kern