Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Problem installing bacula on Solaris 10

2014-11-01 19:58:34
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Problem installing bacula on Solaris 10
From: "Gary R. Schmidt" <grs AT mcleod-schmidt.id DOT au>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2014 09:48:25 +1100
On 2/11/2014 4:05 AM, Dmitri Maziuk wrote:
> On 10/31/2014 4:53 PM, Kenneth Garges wrote:
>> Thanks for the suggestion. I avoided it because everyone in the
>> office here said stay away from SunStudio, gcc is way better, Solaris
>> compilers  are evil, blah blah.
>
> They're incompatible with gnu build chains, especially libtool, so most
> gnuware won't build. Name mangling's different so you can't link c++
> objs to g++ libs (and vise versa), etfc. Other than that, there was
> nothing wrong with 'em back when -- now that there is no sun, they'll
> presumably get obsolete at some point.
> :(

Solaris Studio is still free, and being developed by Oracle.

In the old days when a lot of gcc development was being performed on Sun
systems, gcc would often out perform the Sun compilers, these days it's
the other way around.

That many so-called open source products are developed by people who
have a "of course it's portable, it build on both Fedora Core *and*
OpenSUSE" is the real problem.

        Cheers,
                Gary    B-)