Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Round robin to storage servers (disks)

2014-09-19 12:37:47
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Round robin to storage servers (disks)
From: Dimitri Maziuk <dmaziuk AT bmrb.wisc DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 11:35:41 -0500
On 09/19/2014 11:10 AM, Josh Fisher wrote:

> On 9/19/2014 11:35 AM, Hendrik Visage wrote:

>> The servers are big and oldish and they have enough disk space for my
>> current needs and thus not sensible to buy extra hardware yet, but to
>> have them all run 7x24x366 is a waste of electricity (and heat and
>> and), so the idea is to turn on the one for that day's backups, and
>> let it power off via cron after backups finished. If a recovery is
>> needed, I can turn them all on for that recovery session.
>
> If they both have sufficient disk space, then I suggest configuring the
> two servers in a two-node Pacemaker cluster using DRBD shared storage.

That would be OK if the goal was HA, but it's the opposite of saving
electricity.

If you have to turn them on manually, you might as well do one extra
manual step and mount the filesystem. You could probably squeeze
something out of round-robin dns if you really want to automate the
mounting bit...

--
Dimitri Maziuk
Programmer/sysadmin